2017 Composition Challenge: Year of Samba
Lisker Music Foundation is very excited to present our first annual Composition Challenge, a unique themed competition for classical composers around the world.
2017 marks 100 years since the first recorded Samba. To commemorate this anniversary, your challenge is to compose an original work for Violin and Guitar Duet which pays tribute to the rich history of this beloved genre.
How to Apply
The following application materials must be received at the mailing address listed below on or before the submission deadline (October 1st, 2017). It is preferred that all materials other than the deposit check be uploaded to a flash drive and mailed in, rather than submitting printed copies.
Lisker Music Foundation
792 Greenwood Road
Northbrook, IL 60062
1. Filled out application
2. 1-page bio
3. Non-refundable $40 application fee for each submitted work
made payable by Check to Lisker Music Foundation or via PayPal by following the button below.
4. Score and Parts for the composition
5. A recording of the piece (Midi/Synthesized Software Rendering is Acceptable)
6. Essay (1-Page Max) describing your work, and how you approached integrating the outlined challenge into your creative process.
- Submit all required application materials by: October 1st, 2017
- Applicants must be 35 years or younger at time of submission
- Composition must not exceed 10 minutes in duration
- Work must be for Violin and Guitar Duo
- Composers may submit more than one piece, but each work requires its own application fee
A Bit of History
Officially registered with the Almeida National Library in 1916 by the artist Ernesto dos Santos, best known as Donga, and then recorded in January, 1917, “Pelo Telefone” (Through the Telephone) represents the first true Samba recorded. Through its great popularity, the song would spark a nationwide (and eventual global) love for the style.